- This event has passed.
Migration Museum and Historic England Late – Memorialisation
WhenAug 30, 2018 - Aug 30, 2018
Migration Museum at The Workshop,
26 Lambeth High Street,
London, SE1 7AG
Thursday 30 August 2018 | 6pm–9pm
26 Lambeth High Street, London, SE1 7AG
The Migration Museum and Historic England are hosting a joint free late opening on Thursday 30 August to mark the launch of Historic England’s exhibition Immortalised: The people loved, left and lost in our landscape and the Migration Museum’s current exhibition No Turning Back: Seven Migration Moments that Changed Britain.
Immortalised explores the ways people and events have been commemorated in England, by the statues, the plaques, shrines and murals that mark heroic, quirky, inspirational and challenging lives. The themes of memorialisation, commemoration and representation are reflected in the Migration Museum’s current exhibition No Turning Back: Seven Migration Moments that Changed Britain. The exhibition examines seven moments throughout history that have had a major impact on the movement of people to and from these shores through art, photography, personal objects and stories.
As well as an opportunity to view both exhibitions and chat to the Migration Museum and Historic England teams, visitors will have the chance to:
- Participate in a special guided tour of the Migration Museum’s No Turning Back (tour timings to be confirmed closer to the event).
- Take part in a curator-led guided tour of the Immortalised exhibition (tour timings to be confirmed closer to the event).
- Chat to a ‘Pop-up Prof’ about the themes of memorialisation and commemoration explored in both exhibitions. ‘Pop up Profs’ is a series run by the Migration Museum where leading academics are on hand to have an informal chat about exhibition themes over a drink or a cuppa. No advance booking is required
- Participate in a ‘making’ workshop, in which visitors can create their own memorial using craft materials supplied.
- Grab a drink from the Migration Museum’s donation bar
About Historic England
Historic England is the public body that helps people care for, enjoy and celebrate England’s spectacular historic environment, from beaches and battlefields to parks and pie shops.
About the Migration Museum Project
The Migration Museum Project is shining a light on the many ways that the movement of people to and from Britain across the ages has shaped who we are today through the creation of an inspiring national museum, a far-reaching education programme, and a knowledge-sharing network of museums and galleries across the UK. The Migration Museum is currently based at The Workshop, 26 Lambeth High Street, London SE1 7AG.