The German Hospital, Hackney

Back to gallery

The German Hospital, Hackney

Concern about the German poor in London’s East End during the 19th century led to the foundation of The German Hospital in Hackney in 1845. It was staffed by German nurses from Kaisesrwerth, a model nursing school: Florence Nightingale was an admirer and visited the hospital to see the nurses in action. The hospital closed in 1987 when its services were transferred to Homerton Hospital. The building is now residential. Read more